Luhut Binsar Pandjaitan re-entered the ranks of President Joko Widodo's cabinet. In the Advanced Indonesian Cabinet, Luhut served as the Coordinating Minister for Maritime and Investment Affairs.
The duties and functions of Luhut as Coordinating Minister for Maritime and Investment are set out in Presidential Regulation No. 71 of 2019 concerning the Coordinating Ministry for Maritime and Investment Issues on October 24, 2019.
This Perpres is a follow up to Presidential Decree Number 113/P of 2019 concerning the Establishment of the State Ministry and the Appointment of State Ministers of the Advanced Indonesian Cabinet Period 2019-2024.
"The Coordinating Ministry for Maritime Affairs and Investment has the task of coordinating, synchronizing, and controlling the affairs of the Ministry in the administration of maritime and investment affairs," said Article 2 of the Presidential Regulation as quoted from the official website of the Cabinet Secretariat, Tuesday (11/05/2019).
Read a copy of the Presidential Regulation on the Maritime and Investment Ministry in this link.
In the Perpres it was stated, the Coordinating Ministry for Maritime and Investment Affairs coordinated a number of ministries and agencies. Namely:
a. Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources;
b. Minister For Public Works and Human Settlements;
c. Ministry of Transportation;
d. Ministry of Environment and Forestry
e. Marine and Fisheries Ministry;
f. Ministry of Tourism and Creative Economy / Tourism and Creative Economy Agency;
g. Capital Investment Coordinating Board; and
h. Other agencies deemed necessary
In this regulation, the Coordinating Minister for Maritime Affairs and Investment carries out a number of functions. One of them is authorized to resolve inter-ministerial issues.
"Settlement of problems that cannot be resolved or agreed between the Ministries/Institutions and ensure the implementation of the intended decision," reads Article 3 letter (e) of this regulation.
In addition, the Coordinating Minister for Maritime and Investment has the authority to oversee the policies stipulated in the cabinet meeting. "Escorting national priority programs and other policies stipulated in the Cabinet Meeting;" write Article 3 letter (d).
The following is a complete list of functions of the Coordinating Ministry for Maritime and Investment:
1. Coordination and synchronization of the formulation, stipulation and implementation of Ministry/Institution policies related to maritime and investment issues;
2. Management and handling of issues in the maritime and investment fields;
3. Coordinating the implementation of tasks, coaching, and providing administrative support to all elements of the organization within the Coordinating Ministry for Maritime and Investment Affairs;
4. Oversight of national priority programs and other policies stipulated in the Cabinet Meeting;
5. Settling problems that cannot be resolved or agreed between Ministries/Institutions and ensuring the implementation of the said decisions;
6. Management of state property/assets which are the responsibility of the Coordinating Ministry for Maritime Affairs and Investment; and
7. Supervision of the implementation of duties within the Coordinating Ministry for Maritime and Investment Affairs.